Latest News

Broken Autohelm

In crazy waves the hydraulic autohelm started making strange noises. I switched to the windvane in the middle of the night. This purely mechanical device did a better job steering easy when reaching in turbulent waves. I had replaced the delrin bearings of the windvane selfsteering in New Zealand. I had also made a new bolt for the hinge of the watervane. This fixed the issue with too much play in the connection. The windvane now works like a charm. The plan is to order a new hydraulic unit in Nouvelle Caledonie and install it before crossing the Coral Sea to Queenslabd/Australia. The photo shows the windvane in action in pleasant downwind conditions this afternoon.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *